School has just begun! And, along with many exciting and happy events, such as reuniting with friends and a full roster of fun activities and sports, school also brings homework, essays, and – worst of all – tests.
For many students, taking tests can bring on feelings of anxiety, apprehension and even panic. If your student is one who doesn’t “test well” there are some strategies that parents can employ to put their child at ease and raise confidence.
In advance of the test
- Give your student adequate time to prepare. Don’t start the day before the test!
- Pace the preparation. Break the subject matter up into smaller chunks, so it’s not too overwhelming.
- Familiarize yourself with the structure and directions (or instructions) beforehand and review with your child.
- If possible, have your student take practice tests under timed conditions.
- Help your child learn to relax using proven relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing.
The night before the test
- Avoid cramming, which can set off a panic attack.
- Help your child get a good night’s sleep. Avoid late night TV and other “blue screen” activities, limit caffeine, and provide a soothing atmosphere.
- Pack necessary items (pencils, calculator, book if “open book test”) the night before.
The day of the test
- A healthy breakfast is a must.
- Arrive in plenty of time to avoid feeding into a child’s anxiety.
- Give a light, positive pep talk. Keep the mood upbeat.
Back to Basics Private School: Where every student can succeed
For some students, the stress of a traditional classroom, with its myriad distractions and peer competition, is simply too much. At Back to Basics Private School in Wilmington, Delaware, we help your child take a different path to academic success. Our 1:1 teacher to student ratio means that your child can listen without distraction. He can speak and ask questions without fear. And, he can try and fail. Then, he can try again.
This revolutionary style of learning emphasizes not only academic success, but also positive, mentoring relationships and social remediation, if necessary. The personalized curriculum, combined with a nurturing and supportive environment, inspire a true love for learning.
Call us now or email to schedule a no-obligation school tour. Back to Basics Private School is open M-F, 8:30-5:00 for tours and informational meetings.